Thursday 9 June 2016

Thursday Movie Picks: Immortals


The only film that sprang to mind straight away (apart from Immortals and Tuck Everlasting)) was Highlander but as I cannot stand that film (I barely remember it) I went for some other beings. Don't forget to check out what Wandering Through the Shelves picked, the blog that started Thursday Movie Picks.

Death Becomes Her
I almost left this off my list this week. How could I ignore the classic Streep, Hawn and Willis film about fiends, plastic surgeons, death and immortality. Madeline and Helen are fake friends. Helen is a would be writer, Madeline is a tacky actress. After Mad steals Ernest away from Helen, she goes into a hate spiral. Meanwhile Madeline and Ernest's marriage deteriorates. She cheats on him, treats him like a doormat until one day they are invited to the launch of Helen's new book and she looks fabulous. What is her secret? Well, Madeline finds out on her own. Its brilliant, hilarious, everything you want from this 90s jem.
Immortals
I was being lazy when I picked this as the theme is in the title. What's odd about this beautifully made film was not the fact that it looks amazing but the story is slightly off - but aren't all Tarsem's films like this? I still love them though. No it wasn't this but it was that the title refers to the gods but I'm pretty sure that many of them die during the film. The story is simple - the Gods waged war against the Titans and won, banishing the Titans beneath the Earth. A mortal king wrecks havoc looking a mythical bow to release said Titans and take revenge on the Gods but then legendary hero, Theseus gets in the way.
Byzantium
Though this may be seen as a 'vampire' film, it's not really about vampires. The mother and daughter duo, on the run for centuries from the 'Brotherhood' of 'immortals' as they do not allow women among them. They survive by Clara, the mother, prosituting herself and Ella writes her story over and over then tears it up letting it scatter. Clara lives like this for money and power it would seem and, in a way, its the only thing she has known. Ella is compelled to tell her story for theriputic reasons. Each prays on different people for blood, Clara on lowlifes, Ella on willing elderly victims. They are immortal as well as their foe, thats the main focus so it fits the theme just fine.

17 comments:

  1. These are some really interesting choices! I love Death Becomes Her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried to go outside the box :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to avoid vampire movies but man do I love Byzamtium. Such a great film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Death Becomes Her is such a fun film with three great performances at its core. It's aged extremely well including the FX. Immortals was enjoyable though pretty standard, preposterous of course but that's to be expected. Haven't seen Byzantium but I like both leads so I'll have to add it to my queue. Thanks!

    This theme allows for some wiggle room as far as storytelling goes so I tried to find three different takes on it, this is what I came up with.

    The Mummy (1999)-Slightly flaky but endearing librarian Evelyn (Rachel Weisz) with a knowledge of antiquities heads to the ancient city of Hamunaptra when her fun but conniving brother Jonathan (John Hannah) turns up with a trinket that could lead to great discoveries. Needing a guide they rescue Rick (Brendan Fraser) an adventurer who has knowledge of the area and also discover there is another band of explorers heading in the same direction and the race is on. Once they get there they accidentally awaken an ancient mummy who is hell bent on restoring his equally ancient girlfriend to life. Hijinks ensues. Deep? No. Fun? Yes.

    The Seventh Sign (1988)-Abby Quinn (Demi Moore) and her husband Russell (Michael Biehn) are awaiting the birth of their child, an event of great joy but some trepidation since Abby has lost a baby before. They rent their garage apartment out to a quiet unusual wanderer who Abby comes to believe is there to kill her baby and bring about the apocalypse and seeks to avert either happening. During the same period the Vatican assigns Father Lucci to investigate the various signs that are appearing but Father Lucci has reasons of his own to seek the truth.

    The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)-Young and beautiful Dorian Gray mentions to his reprobate friend Lord Henry that he wishes the portrait he has just had painted could age while he stays eternally young and lives a life of debauchery. Inexplicably his wish comes true and he turns into a hedonistic cad who is left unmarked by his callous behavior. Solid adaptation of Oscar Wilde’s story with a touching performance from an impossibly young Angela Lansbury as the ill-fated Sibyl Vane. She scored her second Oscar nomination for it before turning 21, the youngest person ever to do so, a record that still stands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen any of you picks (though I have caught glimpses of Death Become her quite often). Immortals looks like a lot of fun, not expecting much in the way of depth though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Birgit Bedesky9 June 2016 at 17:25

    I have seen Death becomes her but so long ago...should revisit this. I haven't seen the other 2 but the women are not even allowed in to the man's club even when they are all bloodsuckers? I think Women Vampire rights should be the next film:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same, I'm not a vampire film watcher but I was drawn to this for the two leads - excellent duo, hopefully they'll act together again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've recently rewatched Death Becomes Her and it was fun to watch, more than I remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wendell ottley9 June 2016 at 19:36

    Death Becomes Her is fantastic. I have to be honest about Immortals, I thought it was junk. I need desperately to see Byzantium, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, I haven't seen Death Becomes Her in so long, but it is a great one! Solid pick! I haven't heard of the other two, but they seem worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would recommend Byazntium over Immortals any day but Immortals is an interesting take on some legends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahah Immortals is possibly an acquired taste in the way that I got used to Tarsem going way over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its one of those films you watch when you're younger then remember bits of it and seek it out to re-watch and you're so glad you did :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely revisit it! Ah yes the silly rule. Well she has go on the run with her daughter because she broke the other rule; if a woman does go to the island she is not allowed to have children....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yeh no depth there, just pretty cinematography all the way. But Death Becomes Her is worth a watch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! The FX are brilliant - they won an Oscar! Hope you enjoy Byzantium - a different sort of 'vampire' film.

    The Mummy and Dorian Gray - great picks! Can't believe I forgot about the latter, such a great story. I haven't heard of The Seventh Sign (although a quick look around the internet) - it feels like its a bigger idea that what it is - if that makes sense. I do get freaked out about impending end-of-the-world type of films but is it with seeing?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Byzantium and Death Becomes Her is a classic.

    The Immortals, visually it looks great...but the story nah...

    ReplyDelete