Wednesday 6 April 2016

Thursday Movie Picks: So-Bad-It's-Good


I was stumped for this theme, mostly because I haven't seen many movies that are so bad that they're actually great. I've seen plenty of bad films that I hated and will never see aagin. I've also seen a few movies that are considered to fit into this theme but I still don't think they're good, such as the famous Tommy Wiseau film The Room. I got through 15 minutes of Birdemic and about 5 minutes of Catwoman. Don't forget to check out what Wandering Through the Shelves picked, the blog that started Thursday Movie Picks.

Jupiter Ascending
As the release date got closer the hopes that The Wachowskis' film was going to be a reform back to The Matrix days was looking doubtful. Reviews panned it but still, I loved Cloud Atlas, I was determined. It was let down, of course, but I was also very much entertained. From the ridiculous plot to the over the top graphics to seeing Sean Bean and hearing him say the line, 'Bees don't lie'. My friend and I who saw it now have that as our motto. Jupiter who lives on Earth has a rude awakening when she finds out she is actually the reincranation of a ancient family member who owns planets. She just inherited Earth and she has to fight off a trio of British actors villains in order to save it and everyone who lives there while be aided my renergade Wolfman who has flying roller blades. You follow? No? Well it doesn't matter because it showed just how annoying Eddie Redmayne is and his poor acting skills at being evil. Hilarious stuff.

Showgirls
 The first time I saw this the whole way through was at the Prince Charles Cinema in London, a favourite hang out that I don't get to go often. It was a special event with the greatest campest host and two women pretending to be Nomi and Cristal. I thought the film was hilarious and I loved shouting out lines and quotes at the screen with everyone else who had obviously seen this before. There were some great life lessons in there apart from the usually zingers from ex-bosses who own strip clubs. I learnt that its ok to mame someone of they insult you and its totally ok to push someone down the stairs, that way you get your name in lights a few days later. I can see why its bad but thats what makes it so good!

Dirty Dancing
I know many many people love this tale of dancing dirty in a Summer resort in the Catskill Mountains and how a 'good' girl and a 'bad' boy get together to dance that iconic dance but in some ways, its so darn cheesy I wince when watching it. BUT, for me, its bad but its good. Not quite a guilty pleasure but not a DVD I own, I could happily make a drinking game out of this but I could slap Baby's face when she just stares with her mouth open.

16 comments:

  1. wendell ottley7 April 2016 at 00:26

    Yay Showgirls!!! My favoritest guilty pleasure EVAH!!! I'm actually expecting this to get picked a lot this week.

    Brave call on Dirty Dancing, but you're right, the cheese just drips from this thing and I've never even watched it all the way through.

    Love these picks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Showgirls will be a popular pick this week; I haven't seen it, but for the reviews I've read, they always label the movie as such. I also haven't seen Jupiter Ascending (but maybe one day) and Dirty Dancing was great. It's fun once you get over your disbelief on Baby's character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I very nearly picked Jupiter Ascending myself. It was terrible, but so much fun at the same time!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I was so mad I didn't get around to seeing Jupiter Ascending in theaters. It just came out at the worst time for me. I'll watch it eventually because I'm a complete Wachowski apologist (I even liked Speed Racer!). I'm SHOCKED Showgirls didn't show up more this week. I know some people think it's legitimately a good movie, but there's just too much bad about it for me to agree - everyone involved seems to be working at cross purposes and poor Elizabeth Berkeley got caught in the middle in an impossible role. It is such glorious, glorious trash!

    Dirty Dancing is not one I would have thought of for this week but you are right: It's cheesy as hell and really not very good. Every time I've seen it, I have been aghast at how nearly every single character acts. None of it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahahaaa I love that you have Dirty Dancing on this because I thought the whole premise was stupid including her name! She does deserve a good slap. The good note is that we see Swayze's skill as a dancer. I haven't seen the other 2 but one day i shall see Showgirls:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta I say, I love to hate Showgirls, its so ridiculous especially as everyone in the film takes it all so seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i;m guessing so too, but I'm not surprised. It's worth watching it if you have nothing to do and feel like making a drinking game out of it :). Oh man, tell me about it, no one puts Baby in the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it was fun - thank you - once you get past, well everything, its just an easy watch with Eddie Redmayne putting on a sore throat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to watch Valley of the Dolls especially after I gave up on the book ha! I even started to watch the film with Bette Midler playing the author of the book. I gave up on that too. Your picks all so good! The Groucho Marx film stood out for me as I'm a big Marx Bros fan. And YES! Showgirls is deliciously low.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is! It is silly! Once you start though, you do find yourself getting sucked into the crazy mess!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perhaps everyone is saving Showgirls for another theme. One about Las Vegas and shows or something or fish-out-of-water?

    I thought Dirty Dancing was borderline but for me my gad its silly. It gets away with being more because the soundtrack is pretty awesome and there are some good dance bits but otherwise - whoa - cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jupiter Ascending was awful! And Eddie Redmayne was just terrible. Like he screamed a lot in the movie right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. My brother is the kind of guy that usually likes shitty films more than one should, and said Jupiter Ascending was awful. A good reason to avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes he was just terrible - but I'm not a fan of any of his films. He either coughed through his lines or randomly screamed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahahaha it is but its so bad its enjoyabley bad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Showgirls, for the exact reason you mentioned. So, so bad, but so, so priceless!

    ReplyDelete