Wednesday 20 April 2016

Thursday Movie Picks: Astronauts



I've actually not watched that many films about astronaut, most of the film involving space travel or space itself involve astronauts but I usually focus on the story and the theme, usually just plain old sci-fi or horror but sometimes its a family adventure. Don't forget to check out what Wandering Through the Shelves picked, the blog that started Thursday Movie Picks.



Space Camp
 This 1986 Disney film featuring all the famous actors from yesteryear is about, yes, a Space Camp, where you have all your stereotypes. The misunderstood guy, the try hard go-getter, the genius Valley Girl, the not so confident guy who just loves science and a clever kid who has a pet robot. Well, not all your stereotypes but enough of them to make this film ok to watch. I actually stumbled across this film by accident and almost turned the channel until I realised that the kid was a very young Joaquin Phoenix. The group of misfits end up in space when the Phoenix's robot reprogrammes the rocket ship they are on. Its about team work and putting aside differences. Not the best but it doesn't matter its 80s Disney.

Sunshine
I was bold over by this Danny Boyle film. With a small cast, simple concept and beautiful vision, I really loved this film about a group of astronaunts/scientists who are taking the 'pay load' to reignite the sun. But this is the second trip so not only do the crew come across the first ship and have a mystery on their hands but they also have to complete their mission or Earth will die. Its far fetched but its brilliant at the same time. It also have a brilliant diverse group of actors who all symbolise something different.

Le Voyage dans la Lune


Georges Méliès' masterpiece about a a rocket ship that lands on the Moon and who the astronaunts encounter there. At only 18 minutes it manages to capture such weird and wonderful creations and a story so simple. Released in 1902, Georges Méliès intially sold his film at fair grounds but the exhibitors were reluctant to pay such a high price for the film so Méliès gave a print for a free. The film was so successful an exhibitor bought the film and gave extra money to Méliès for the inconvenience. I've only seen it once and its magical, especially the iconic Man in the Moon.

14 comments:

  1. I'd probably pick The Martian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen any of these, but Sunshine has been on my watch list for some time. I should really get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Space Camp!! Geez I haven't thought of that movie in years but your description captures it perfectly. Goofy now but sort of cutting edge at the time while still being highly improbable. Le Voyage dans la Lune is a genius pick, so out of the main but amazingly inventive when it came out. I didn't care very much for Sunshine but it had some good parts, it just didn't add up for me.

    I thought for sure The Right Stuff and Apollo 13 would be all over today so I didn't choose them even though they were the first two I thought of, I went for more obscure choices.

    Capricorn One (1977)-While awaiting the launch of the first manned flight to Mars the command center realizes too late to abort that a malfunction in the support system will kill the astronauts during the journey. Needing a success to continue the program the astronauts are whisked away to a false lunar surface in the desert and the entire mission faked. When the spaceship burns up on reentry and the hoax is at risk of being exposed it becomes a cat and mouse game as the astronauts fight for survival.

    Silent Running (1971)-All botanical life on Earth has ceased to exist, ecologist/astronaut Freeman Lowell (Bruce Dern) oversees a greenhouse on an orbiting space station to preserve various flora and fauna for future generations. Assisted by three robots and a small human crew who see no value in maintaining the forest, Lowell rebels when orders arrive to destroy the greenhouse in favor of carrying cargo, a decision that puts him at odds with everyone but his mechanical companions. Lowell and his robots are forced to do anything necessary to keep their invaluable greenery alive. A quiet and meditative take for the most part on the shortsightedness of the human race.

    The Reluctant Astronaut (1967)-Agoraphobic Roy (Don Knotts) runs the kid spaceship ride at the fairground but his father hopes for better and applies to NASA for him. Surprisingly he’s accepted…as a janitor. After many crazy complications Roy ends up in space as the title pilot! If it sounds preposterous, it is but then it’s a Don Knotts comedy after all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen the Disney film nor have I seen Sunshine which does sound good but I love A Trip to the Moon! I love anything Georges Melies and find his films just wonderful and full of dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH! A TRIP TO THE MOON!!!! <3 I love that movie so damn much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only seen Sunshine, which I liked up until the last 20 minutes or so when it got sooooooooooooooo F'ing weird. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was close on my list - lots of others did though - great film.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Sunshine is such a great film - although Méliès film is a true original.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen it since I was 18 but I've seen clips here and there - weird wonderful film

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did it get weird? It started to get intense and turned into a horror suspense - do you mean right right at the end when he standing on the bridge bit? Trying not to spoil it for others :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I've only seen one other of his films but I can remember what it was... I think we also - in college - saw a few shorts too. It is a great film - one for the ages.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought Apollo 13 and The Martian would be popular, both great films but its nice to go for something different sometimes. I haven't seen your picks but I have read/heard about them. My dad always quotes a line from Capricorn One - not a famous one but he always says it. I really wanted to see Silent Running when it was on at BFI but I missed it. One day I will see all these missed films.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember it got really scary and weird but I've forgotten much of details which means I should do rewatch soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember it getting scary when Mark Strong is running around all crazy....

    ReplyDelete