Friday 15 April 2016

Fandom Friday: Unexpected Fandoms


Fandoms I love but never thought I would? Well, shamefully there are quite a few fandoms out there that I didn't think I'd like but now absolutely love. Funnily enough all my picks were reccomended to me by my Uni friends. We also made up each others film crews so it made sense to listen to them, shame it took me years for a couple of the picks to watch them.

Battlestar Galactica
I thank my friend Alex so much for making me watch this show. It was back in Uni and we agreed to do an exchange. I gave her 30 Rock to watch, which she and most of our Film class loved and she watched Battlestar with me. I became addicted to it. She watched the mini series and the first season with me, which was actually alot of fun, I, unlike many others, like to have a heads up of whats going to happen. From that point I watched all the series available, just in time to watch the final season. Apart from last year, I rewatched the whole complete shabang every year, like a pilgrimage.  Last year I was too consumed with a host of new shows and of course Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Apollo and Starbuck all the way everyone, Sam who?

American Horror Story
Again, back in Uni, another friend, Kyri, went on and on about this show and I didn't pay attention, mostly because I don't like horror films so thought a series was too much. I caved in one day, years later after I couldn't find anything new to watch on my newly reinstated Netflix. I watched Murder House and Asylum in a few days. I became obsessed. I powered through Coven and impatiently waited for Freak Show, which wasn't as good as its concept. Hotel was better.

Fringe
This is another show Alex reccomended. I actually watched 2 episodes with her back in 2009 or was it 2010... but she only had it on blu-ray so couldn't borrow it. Then, again, years later I picked up where we left off and yes, you guessed it, I was obsessed. I was disappointed with season 5 so when I rewatched the show (a few times) I skipped that last one. Olivia, Peter, Walter and Astrid are the super group.

Dollhouse
My friend Chris recommended this to me, in fact we watched the second season together. I had been put off by this series as I;m not a massive Eliza Dushku fan, I'm still not. But he sold this to me through all the other characters, my favourite being the genius tech nerd, Topher, or as I kept calling him Franz Kranz. Such a great show and like all fans of it, I was so disappointed it only got 2 seasons and a spin off comic.

Twin Peaks

Another Chris show that was really a long time coming. He told me I'd love it. In fact he, being a long time fan of the show, watched it with Alex during Uni. I caugh a few bits but didn't take the time to sit and watch. Years later, in fact probably less than 2 years ago, my sister, brother-in-law and me, sometimes mum too, all sat down to watch a few episodes each evening. I already knew Laura Palmer's murderer but it didn't ruin the show at all. I loved the crazy soundtrack, the small town-ness of it all, oh and Andy and Lucy saying each other's names was a bonus. Now we just need the show to return, as it said it would. Daaamn fine show!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Dollhouse. Dushku wasn't the best choice for such a dynamic role, but the supporting characters easily made up for some of her shortcomings. Topher and Victor were my favorites (especially Victor AS Topher haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was all about Seara and Victor and YES! the supporting roles made up for Dushku. Ah man Topher as Victor was awesome!

    ReplyDelete