Thursday 14 January 2016

Thursday Movie Picks: Post-Apocalyptic World (Not Apocalyptic)

Don't forget to check out what Wandering Through the Shelves picked, the blog that started Thursday Movie Picks. 

Delicatessen
A marvelous French film from Jean-Pierre Jeunet, before Amelie. Set in post apocalyptic France where there is a food shortage and grain is the new currancy, a butcher (and landlord) supplies meat to the occupants of the apartment building he lives in. Luring in victims through job ads. What's a little more disturbing is the tenants know where the meat comes from. Things change though when a circus performer arrives and makes an impression on everyone, especially the butcher's lonely daughter. This the is film, for those who do not know, with the famous squeaky bed scene, pure brilliance went into that. 


Waterworld
Noted as one of the biggest flops in box office and cinema history. I used to watch this all the time when I was younger. Upon reflections I see its flaws and how ridiculous it is, for instance, where did all those cigarettes come from? Why does he have gils? From an evolutionary standing, this 'waterworld' would have existed for decades in order for that to happen to his ears. Looking beyond this, searching for dry land/new home vibe, its an ok film. Kevin Costner should have know though, you mess with water, prepare to be broke. 

9
No not the mediocre musical, the strange animated film about 9 little creations who were made to fight the machines and bring back life to the world. The trailer doesn't really fully explain what it is happening and even in the film, its not quite clear how 9 small creations, made and given life by a scientist who was also responsible for creating a deadly self aware machine that brought about the destruction of humans, can solve anything. Each little creation represents a part of the scientist's soul and they all have their important role to play.

16 comments:

  1. Ohhh I haven't seen any of these! 9 sounds like something I really want to see though :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing about Delicatessen for years, but haven't seen it. Thanks for the reminder. I have completely avoided Warerworld and will continue to do so. Finally, I am more fond of 9 than most people. I am definitely a fan. It helps that it contains the most intense sequence featuring Somewhere Over the Rainbow of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Ellington14 January 2016 at 15:30

    Delicatessen!!! Love that we both went there. Such a great choice. I haven't seen your other choices, but I've always been curious about 9.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the second mention of Delicatessen today I'll have to check it out. It sounds unique. I've never heard of 9 it sounds equally different. I didn't love Waterworld but I didn't hate it either, and from everything I'd heard I expected to, it overreached but it had an ambitious idea behind it.

    This particular genre is one I enjoy occasionally but not one I watch alot so I had to cast around a bit to come up with three that I didn't think would pop up and that I liked. This is what I came up with:

    The Planet of the Apes (1968)-The original story of a crew of astronauts who crash land in a world where a society of intelligent talking apes reign supreme. They are quickly taken prisoner and discover that humans are now subservient. Both cheesy and impressive at the same time with hambone Charlton Heston the exactly right actor in the lead.

    The Time Machine (1960)-At the turn of the 20th century H.G. Wells tells a group of friends of his time machine to their disbelief and one’s warning not to tempt the laws of providence. Wells ignores the advice and travels far into the future to find a sobering world populated by recessive humans called Eloi and strange creatures called Morlocks. This won an Oscar for its revolutionary time lapse photography.

    The World, the Flesh and the Devil (1959)-Miner Ralph Burton (Harry Belafonte) trapped for a number of days in a cave-in, emerges to find himself the seemingly lone survivor of a nuclear holocaust. Traveling to the closest large city, New York, he finds it deserted at first but eventually meets Sarah Crandall (Inger Stevens) who has also managed to survive. They form a close friendship until the appearance of a third survivor (Mel Ferrer) and tensions flair. A three person chamber piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love Waterworld when I was a kid too. 9 is an inspired choice. I only saw that film once but I remember it being very intriguing. I haven't seen the first pick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum-Delicatessen sounds a bit meaty...sorry. I did not know about this film until today but sounds quite good. I never heard about 9. I have to look this up and I have yet to see Waterworld and, one day, I will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen any of these but 9 has been on my list for a while

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's an odd one. Timur Bekmambetov AND Tim Burton were involved so its not exactly a 'kids' movie at all. Interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can understand you avoiding Waterworld, for me its in the edge of so bad its good. 9 is a really odd film but its great that you're a fan, but I can see why its not widely seen. Definitely find some time for Delicatessen, if you like Jean-Pierre Jeunet's other movies, you will enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! It fit the them plus it got that extra Jean-Pierre Jeunet quailty of dark and light humour. I really love the last scene when they're playing on the roof. A few others have mentioned 9, it's great that everyone is curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. More curiosity for 9! This is great! I'd say give it a watch, its strange and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't apologise - I liked that meaty joke :) Definitely give it a watch. Ah yes, Waterworld, you watch or not to watch. I think it's one of those films that everyone knows about and in some ways you don't need to watch it, find a trailer and you've pretty much seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was exposed to quite a few Kevin Costner films when I was younger. My whole family loved Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves and yes we even all watched Dances With Wolves. Waterworld was our guilty pleasure I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't seen any of these, but I was wondering if Waterworld was ever going to get on anyone's list since it seems to fit this theme.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aha! It made my list - childhood memories are hard to shake :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Waterworld did overreach and it resulted in a bad blockbuster but I think it enters the realms of 'so bad its good'.



    I remember seeing Planet of the Apes, I was really disturbed by it, the bit where Heston sees his friend in the museum is awful. Of course though, I had to see it just for the ending. Unfortunately I've only seen the terrible remake of The Time Machine, so bad. I think I saw it at the cinema! The last pick sounds really good, a bit like the premice of The Last Man on Earth but serious.

    ReplyDelete