Thursday 28 January 2016

Thursday Movie Picks: Movies Adapted from Movies of a Different Language


I was all set to pick The Birdcage but then I stopped and thought there are many films out there to pick, I'll choose some odd ones. Don't forget to check out what Wandering Through the Shelves picked, the blog that started Thursday Movie Picks. 


Interview
Part of a trio of films that were originally made by Dutch filmmaker Theo Van Gogh, Steve Buscemi's remake was the first to be released. I had the privilage to go the UK premiere and to a masterclass with Buscemi, I was in heaven. I even got up the nerve to ask a question (big deal for me). It was the first time I went to the BFI festival in 2006, this year will be my 10th year attending. The film is about a disgruntled political journalist who is told by his editor to interview a soap actress. I enjoyed the film, it was like watching play and it's Steve Buscemi directing and starring, two pluses.

Wild Target
I was going to pick another French to English adaptation but decided to go with this black comedy adaptation of 'Cible émouvante'. Good story, mediocre outcome. Usually I enjoy a good hitman film but there was something a bit too wishy-washy about this film. The story itself about a brilliant hitman who doesn't finish a job becuase he basically falls in love with his target and takes on an apprentice. The favourites of British acting talent are on display and are quite good but don't really lift the story off the ground.
 
Contraband
This was meant to be one of my first original vs remake posts but I couldn't find the Icelandic film, 'Reykjavík-Rotterdam' for ages. But now I know where to seek it out, that post may still be out there. I'm not usually one for the typical Mark Wahlberg action films but this felt a little different. Plus it was £2.99 with any purchase at HMV one day. Ex-smuggler Chris, now family man with own security business is dragged back into the world he thought he left when his brother-in-law is forced to throw away drugs he was smuggling when his frieghter is inspected. The mobster is charge threatens Chris' family unless he is paid back the money lost. Chris decides to raise the money by running contraband.

17 comments:

  1. I've only seen Contraband. Thought it was 'meh'. The other two sound very interesting, though. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen Wild Target, watched it for the cast. I did not know it was an adaptation, would have to check out the original flick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never saw Contraband but I like the other two on this list. I didn't know they were remakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interview is definitely the best of the picks, Wild Target is just ok, just like Contraband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised too about it being an adaptation, I don't think the French original was released in UK or US. I found out after I saw it, it felt like a typical Brit-Com to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen any of these, but Interview sounds worth a watch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew Ellington28 January 2016 at 14:44

    I haven't seen any of these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you went with lesser known films. I've only seen Contraband which was just okay, the others sound like they could be interesting.

    I also went with more under the radar choices, well maybe not my bonus but the other three.

    Sorcerer (1977)-Four desperate men agree to transport a volatile shipment of nitro-glycerin over rugged terrain in the hopes of earning enough money to escape their present state. William Friedkin directed remake of the French classic Wages of Fear wasn’t a big success on its initial release but is a taut gritty drama. An international cast headed by Roy Scheider give intense performances. Perhaps not the equal of the original but on its own a solid suspenser.

    Human Desire (1954)-Fritz Lang helmed redo of Jean Renoir’s La Bête Humaine is hampered a trifle by the Hayes Code but his great cast, in particular Broderick Crawford and Gloria Grahame, and solid direction fill in the code demanded blanks. Loaded with sexual undertones.

    Intermezzo (1939)-American remake of identically named Swedish film also starring Ingrid Bergman served as her introduction to Hollywood. A world famous concert violinist becomes enamored with his daughter’s piano instructor. Feeling restless he invites her to tour with him, eventually they become involved and he leaves his family for her but soon realizes what he had originally. It’s a weepie loaded with beautiful music that’s worth catching for Ingrid’s stateside debut.

    Honorable Mention-Point of No Return (1993)-Stylish, glossy remake of Luc Besson’s La Femme Nikita with Bridget Fonda at the height of her brief heyday as the druggie turned government assassin. Not quite as sleek as the original but a propulsive engrossing thriller with Anne Bancroft a standout in her brief role as an etiquette teacher with an underlying fierceness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot about Interview. Always thought Buscemi and Miller seemed like an interesting pair. Really need to check that one out. Haven't see the others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes indeed they are. In fact Interview was part of a project. After Theo Van Gogh was murdered, three US directors/actors started the project, there are meant to be three films, but I couldn't find the third film. Stanley Tucci directed a remake of Blind Date a few years after Interview but after that, the trail goes cold.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so lucky to go the the British films and ask Buscemi a question. I would like to see this film for sure. I haven't seen Wild Target but I always love a hitman story for some reason. I like the last film, I found it while flicking the channels and I thought it was quite good but I like Mark Wahlberg

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...yeah, I've seen none of these. The only one I'm interested in is Contraband, and really only because of Marky Mark. (Yeah, I know we're supposed to call him by his proper name now, but i just can't lol)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It didn't get a big fanfare release but its a great watch and the pairing is good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can get a train in easily so I take advantage as much as possible. Hitmen stories always seem to have some depth as well as humourous moments, they are quite addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's one of Marky Mark's better films to be fair.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are some way more obvious films to pick for themes but I think its great to see lesser known ones, broadens everyone's potential viewings.

    Human Desire looks good and I still need to watch La Femme Nikit, then I can watch the remake. Some interesting choices there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't seen any of this. I have vaguely heard of Contraband and Interview but Wild Target is completely new to me.

    ReplyDelete