Thursday 17 December 2015

Thursday Movie Picks: Family Get-Together/Reunions



Don't forget to check out what Wandering Through the Shelves picked, the blog that started Thursday Movie Picks. 

Families seem to gather for only a few reasons, funerals, weddings, births, Christmas and when someone returns home.  Or in the case of one pick, all of the above.


This Is Where I Leave You
Funerals are always a place where family are together. Unfortunately I know this from personal experience. There's the joy of seeing family you don't often see but then there's the sad reason why you're together. This film had the bitter sweet effect. Similar to Parenthood, the siblings aren't estranged, but there are the typical one. Three brothers, one sister, one is responsible taking on the family business. One has just ended a marriage after his wife cheated on him. One has all the children and in an unhappy marriage. And then theres the 'black sheep' lazy one. Everyone has a part and they come together dealing with their father's death in different ways. As with death, revelations are made, truths come out and not everyone is happy in the end.

8 Women 


This story is brilliant. All women, set in the 50s, Christmas time, murder mystery and theres music. Unfortunately, only half the songs are good. Of course its based on a play and it feels like it too the way the set is laid out and with the finale bow at the end. The film takes in a homecoming, the eldest daughter, Christmas time and a death. The death is unexpected but its what draws everyone in. It's a 'who done it' with several marvelous twists. And, yes they're all family (except the maid).


                                                                 Parenthood 
Technically this Ron Howard film is one long gathering as the siblings and their families live close by and are always gathering together. Four siblings, each with out their own issues, family, children, jobs, debt and money problems, but as I said they always gather togteher, even for births.


16 comments:

  1. Nice picks! I've only seen This is Where I Leave You. It was okay, I really liked the cast. 8 Women sounds interesting. I'm going to have to look into that..

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE 8 Women!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked This Is Where I Leave You for the cast, but having read the book I was expecting better. J'ADORE 8 Women!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, I haven't seen any of these yet. I'm sure I have come across Parenthood on TV a time or a dozen. I just never stopped to watch it. I should be seeing This is Where I Leave You sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wanted to see the first movie and forgot about it so..it goes on my list:) I have not even heard of the 2nd film but I have seen parts of the 3rd. I could never really get into Parenthood...it might be because of all the kids:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific choices as usual. LOVE Parenthood, it works so seamlessly and everyone is at the top of their respective games. I think this is Steve Martin's best film work, it's between Dianne Weist, Jason Robards and he for top acting honors but the entire ensemble is marvelous.

    I was hoping for more from This is Where I Leave You but I still liked it and any movie that has that large of a role for Jane Fonda is aces in my book.

    I've long meant to see 8 Women, that cast!!, but somehow it keeps slipping my mind. I'll have to correct that especially now that one of next year's theme is films with a predominately female cast which it will suit perfectly.

    My first is slightly outside the lines of the theme being a reunion film just not a family reunion but its a favorite of mine and the first one I thought of when I read the theme.

    The Last of Sheila (1973)-A year after his wife is, as one character so compassionately puts it, “bumped through the hedges” in a hit and run Hollywood director Clinton Green reunites, on his yacht in the Mediterranean, the group that was at his house party that night. A long time practical joker he insists they play a game where each is assigned a secret that the others must solve. Since the group is for the most part a bunch of opportunists and grabbers pleasantries are interwoven with insults but everything seems fine until a series of accidents start happening and the game turns deadly. Terrific puzzle of a picture with a sensational cast of stars from the seventies, Dyan Cannon, James Coburn, Joan Hackett, Raquel Welch and James Mason among them, was written by Stephen Sondheim and Anthony Perkins. Even the title is a clue!

    The Lion in Winter (1968)-It Christmas time 1183 and King Henry II has decided to let his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine out of her imprisonment for a family reunion with their three rapacious sons. At stake? The decision of succession and the fate of England. Acting fireworks provided by the whole cast but in particular Oscar winning work from Katharine Hepburn and should have been Oscar winning work by Peter O’Toole. When those two greats go head to head it’s wonderful to behold.

    Pocketful of Miracles (1961)-Apple Annie (Bette Davis) a boozy Broadway peddler during Prohibition is the good luck charm of gangster Dave the Dude (Glenn Ford) and his gang, including right hand man Joy Boy (Peter Falk) and moll Queenie (Hope Lange). Annie, who runs her own organization of the denizens of the street, has for years been corresponding with her daughter Louise (Ann-Margret)-growing up in a convent in Spain thinking that her mother is a frail society matron. One day Annie receives a letter from Louise. She’s fallen in love and is engaged to a young Spanish count…also she’s on her way to visit with fiancée and his father in tow. Annie goes on a drunken binge but the Dude and his gang step in to try and turn this rough duckling into a queenly swan and make her reunion with Louise a face saving dream. The Capra corn is pretty high in his last feature but this has a gossamer charm with delightful performances from the entire cast, Falk was nominated for a supporting actor Oscar.

    Honorable Mention-Crimes of the Heart (1986)-Diane Keaton, Jessica Lange and Sissy Spacek play a trio of quirky Southern sisters who reunite when the youngest sister Babe shoots her husband. Part joyful reunion part hashing out of old resentments this film, based on Beth Henley’s Pulitzer Prize winning play which she adapted, is stagy at times but wonderfully acted by the three leads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parenthood! Yes!! Love it. This is Where I Leave You didn't work that well for me overall, but it had its moments. Haven't heard of 8 Women. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I love the cast for This is Where I Leave You. Also, its based on a book and I was interested in reading it, see if its different from the film.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aha, I was thinking of reading the book, might still do. 8 Woman is just brlliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's how I found it, I saw clips of Parenthood so many times, then it came on TV and made the effort to watch it through - loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 8 Women is a brilliant film, out of all them I'd reccomend that one the most.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! There are a few great moments in This is Where I Leave You, but I've seen that it wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Joel! I agree about Parenthood - a brilliant ensemble cast. 8 Women is a great film. I had heard of it years ago and meant to see it then. I found it on sale and had no excuse not to buy it. I've leant it to a friend to continue the love for the film.

    The first pick (although not quite in theme) sounds really interesting - crazy dedaly pranks turn into thriller by the sounds of it. Pocketful of Miracles also sounds like something I'd see too! Interesting picks there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I've seen 8 Women, unfortunately I can't remember much beyond that it is a who-done-it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Watch it again! Its not predictable and wonderfully acted out.

    ReplyDelete