Wednesday 24 July 2013

It Combines Two Of My Favourite Things

Books and Films.

Or rather, story and film. Having to do a good deal more reading than I usually do, I have a reading list. A very long list. I am currently reading something old, something new and something by force. I had planned to re read the entire Chronicles of Narnia for old times sake but that plan has been put on hold due to the long list. Most books on the list are either going to be films/TV series, already are film/TV series or something I think would make a good film/TV series.

In no particular order, these are the books on my mammoth reading list:


  • (Currently reading) Mariah Mundi and The Midas Box by G.P. Taylor - this is the first book in the series following the adventures and exploits of Mariah Mundi, set in Victorian England. It has also been made into a film and was meant to be released this year, but I'm not if that still stands.
  • Emil and the Detectives by Erich Kastner - The classic 1931 German adaptation of the book is being released by the BFI and the National Theatre is putting on a production in November this year.
  • Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James - a follow up from Pride and Prejudice but this time with a murder. The BBC have or are making this into a mini series. Not sure when it will be aired, but the cast looks good.
  • Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde - this is the fourth book in the Thursday Next series. I have listened to the first books on audio but alas this book didn't have a reasonably priced one so I got the book.
  • The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta - HBO are creating a new TV series based on this book. The concept was so good I decided I had to read the book before it came out. The story follows the residents of a town after The Rapture occurs, the people who are left behind.
  • Divergent by Veronica Roth - This has been made into a film (its all over Comic con) with the other two books close on its heels I bet. Said to be 'the next Hunger Games' so I am intrigued.
  • The Teleportation Accident by Ned Beauman - This is a new book, I read the back and an article about it and was very intrigued. Time travel, sci-fi, noir, sounds perfect.
  • Claire DeWitt and The Bohemian Highway by Sara Gran - I just liked the story. Female detective tries to solve case of dead ex-boyfriend.
  • The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde - This screams out to be made into a film. Nursery Crimes Division. Brilliant.
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Jane Austen and Ben H. Winters - I like Sense & Sensibility much better than Pride & Prejudice, the latter is over done (unless there is follow up with a murder). With added sea monsters, I sounded interesting.
  • Werewolves of the Heartland by Bill Willingham - it came out ages ago and usually I eat up all things Fables comics related but I wasn't too keen on the artwork so I have taken my time with this. 
  • X-Women by Chris Claremont and Milo Manara - another comics collection, I love X-Men and the idea of the stories focused on the women of X-Men was great, but time and distraction, I haven't had the chance to read it.
  • Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - Simple. I wanted to read the book before the film. Both are still on my to read/watch list.
  • Paddington Takes the Air by Michael Bond - I love that bear from darkest Peru.
  • Peril at End House by Agatha Christie - finished another Christie book not long ago and loved it, I just wanted more of her books to read, plus I love Poirot and needed a book I hadn't seen on TV.
  • The Life and Times of Hercule Poirot by Anne Hart - He is one of my favourite detectives.
  • Murder on the Home Front by Molly Lefebure - I loved the mini series on ITV earlier this year, so when I saw the book (going for cheaps) I grabbed it, then paid for it.
I said it was mammoth and I'm sure I have left a few off the list.

I have also noticed a pattern. Most of the books are about murder/mystery, some kind of detective and have strong female characters. With the exception of Paddington.



No comments:

Post a Comment