Monday 24 June 2013

Marvellous Murder Mysteries


I do love a good murder mystery. I love playing Cludeo, no matter how long it goes on for. We used to play it at Christmas until my mum (usually or another family member) would complain and get bored and end the game by going for a guess after two turns and told everyone who the murderer was. We sometimes play now but mostly card games which are just as hilarious to play.



Cluedo aside, its the master a murder, Agatha Christie who has been taking up my attention these days. I've always loved watching Poirot and Miss Marple, I am ecstatic about the new episodes for both but upset as these will be the last. David Suchet who plays Hercule Poirot is hanging up the tash and cane. It will be a sad day when the last episode airs. I got both the Poirot and Miss Marple box sets for two birthdays in a row, one after the other. I am that obsessed I am.



I recently finished the most famous of Agatha Christie's books (after Murder on the Orient Express of course), And Then There Were None. Its a brilliant, disturbing tale of ten people being invited to a mysterious hotel on an island. They've all been led there for various different reasons and of course don't know each other. But its when they start being murdered one by one is when the fun starts. It's a genius tale. I can't say anymore than that except you are kept guessing who the murderer is until the very end.


As well as eating up every Poirot and Marple episode I have also just finsihed watching the second series of Case Histories, where Private Investigator Jackson Brody solves some new, some old cases brought to him by all the random people in Scotland. Marvellous TV.

As well as TV watching I also went scouting around the charity shops and discount books for some detective/murder mysteries. No luck in the charity shops but I did strike gold elsewhere. In the same place I found The Pirate King by Laurie R.King, a most excellent read by the way, especially if you like Sherlock Holmes-esque stories, Gilbert and Sullivan musicals and silent cinema, its all in there, I found some other gems. Murder on the Homefront by Molly Lefebure, true tales of murders, morgues and mystery during the second World War. The book was recently turned in to a two part drama on BBC and I have my fingers crossed for another series. The other gem was a random find, They Found Him Dead by Georgette Heyer. I think its a standard rich man is found dead sort of thing. But it sounds thrilling!







No comments:

Post a Comment