Monday 27 February 2012

The Expected Oscars Rant



So, I stayed up until 4:05am to watch the awards but the links I was using to watch it kept breaking so I gave up just after Jean Dujardin won his award for Actor in a Leading Role. But the awards I missed, I heard the winners on the radio in the hazy hours of the morning, and all I could say was, of course Meryl Streep won, how dull and predictable.

Here is a link to the list of nominees and winners: http://oscar.go.com/nominees



First I couldn't believe that 'Hugo' had won so many awards, but this doesn't make me want to see it anymore, I just can't believe it. I was also annoyed when Chris Rock belittled animated films, that was awful and that fact that 'Rango' won??? Is just more insane. That award should have been Tintin's, because like most people have been saying, has their really been a better animated film this year? The answer is no! I was also disappointed that The Muppets didn't perform live in stage but the awards budget stretched so they could have that pointless giant book appear on stage and as host Billy Crystal said "That's the reason why there is a buffet". But at least Bret McKenzie won for Best Original Song. I was also really pleased with the Best Supporting awards, Octavia Spencer and Christopher Plummer.



There were a few crimes at the awards, but then again there always is. First, 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' wasn't even nominated for Original Score, which was insane. Tinker Tailor Solider Spy didn't win Best Adapted Screenplay and was basically snubbed apart from nomination for Gray Oldman. But why am I surprised, the Oscars don't like British films unless they focus on the monarchy. FACT! I loved The Artist, and I think it really deserved Best Motion Picture, but as much as I loved Jean Dujardin, that Oscar should have been Gary Oldman's.

Moving on, I nearly threw up when Billy Crystal introduced "The original girl with the dragon tattoo" and I expected the original Lisbeth Salander, Noomi Rapace to walk on stage, but then an awful actress, disgusting person walked on stage instead, Angelina 'bint' Jolie. I think the Oscars need to retract that statement as it is that insulting.



My last rant/annoyance goes to Meryl Streep. She said she could hear half of America moaning she had won. Well it was 80% of the world then because she may be a good actress but this wasn't her time. She has played far better character/real people and in far better films. But that is sometimes the way, great actors/directors are nominated countless times but then they end up winning because its been too long not for the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment